Titonka Savings Bank was not the first bank established in the Titonka Community. The Bank of Titonka and Farmers Bank, started soon after the town of Titonka was platted, were merged into the First National Bank on October 15th, 1900.


The first recorded activity pertaining to the Titonka Savings Bank is a Notice of Incorporation, dated the first day of November 1915 and published in the Titonka Topic. The incorporators and first directors were F.R. Amesbury, B.A. Pannkuk, B.S. Pannkuk, L.C. Seward, Al. Falkenhainer, M.P. Haggard and J.W. Haggard.


Mr. Al. Falkenhainer was the first President of the Titonka Savings Bank being President from November 1st 1915 through October of 1918.


On the 18th day of December, 1915, notice was received from the office of the Auditor of State, under certificate #793, bank #855, authorizing the corporation to transact business as the Titonka Savings Bank.


The first shares of stock in the Titonka Savings Bank were issued on January 29th, 1916. 150 shares with a par value of $100.00 each were issued, creating a paid-in capital for the bank of $15,000.00. Certificate #1, for 5 shares, was purchased by M. P. Haggard. Other individuals purchasing shares in the Titonka Savings Bank on that day were F.R. Amesbury, B.S. Pannkuk, B.A. Pannkuk, Otto Falk, Boye Dieckmann, Lee O. Wolfe, J.W. Haggard, Ralph H. Peterson, Al. Falkenhainer and L.C. Seward.


February 14th, 1916 was set as the opening date of the bank. Arrangements were made to rent the front room of the Titonka Topic office for $20.00 per month, including heat and lights. Approval was given for the purchase of a Burroughs posting machine, costing $615.00 and authorization was made to purchase a safe from G.L. Dalton. The Topic building stood until 1988 and was the building immediately south of Rollies Food Center.


On February 14th, the opening day of business, some 132 savings accounts were opened, in addition to other deposit accounts. Among those individuals opening accounts on the first day of business of the Titonka Savings Bank, there were 9 who continued to do their banking business at the Titonka Savings Bank for 75 years. Those individuals were John A. Pannkuk, Vernelle Zwiefel Bilsborough, Gesina Janssen Heyer, Ronie Janssen, Steven R. Tjaden, Carl F. Callies, Maurice Keil, Vivian Reibsamen Keagle, and Vera Mechler Schweitert.


Initially, the day to day business of the Titonka Savings Bank was run by Lee O. Wolfe out of the one-room office in the Topic building. In October 1917, a contract was entered into to remodel the Denton Drug Store to a bank building, including vault, lobby, tile, toilet room, etc. for the cost of $1,750.00 (excluding the cost of painting and of a skylight).


In November of 1917, the bank purchased the building for $3,000.00.


In November of 1917, Director M.P. Haggard resigned, as did Assistant Cashier R.H. Peterson. V.J. Martin was elected Director and Vice President.


In 1918, the bank moved to the new location. This is the building that served as Titonka Savings Bank until the fire in 2012.


Mr. Al. Falkenhainer was the first President of the Titonka Savings Bank being President from November 1st 1915 through October of 1918.


In April of 1920, William joined the Bank as Vice President, succeeding V.J. Martin who resigned his position. He became active in the operation of the Bank along with Cashier, Lee O. Wolfe.


From December of 1924, until his death in March of 1939, B.S. Pannkuk served as President of the Bank. In memorializing his passing, the Board of Directors recognized that B.S. Pannkuk represented the four great forces of our American life, namely the State, the Home, the Church, and the School and that he had served each with his strong body and a keen mind.


Henry Meyer replaced Lee O. Wolfe as Cashier for a short time in 1925 and subsequently H.C. Schweppe joined the Bank as Cashier in 1925, serving until 1935.


In May of 1927, A.C. Schweppe was hired as a bookkeeper.


On November 24th, 1929, there was considerable excitement at the Titonka Savings Bank . The bank was robbed by three bandits. One of the men came into the bank about closing time in the afternoon, and asked for change for a five dollar bill. Henry Bruns, bookkeeper, the only one in the bank at the time, was about to oblige when the bandit showed him his revolver and announced it was a hold-up. Soon afterwards William Boyken and Bill Batt returned to the bank and opened the locked door. As they did, one of the surprised bandits rushed to the front of the bank and jabbed a gun into Mr. Boyken’s ribs and ordered him to the back of the room. Mr. Batt escaped by backing out the door, and ran to the Falk garage. The bandits, fearing capture,


The First National Bank continued in business until December of 1930, when it was forced to close by the Great Depression.


Edward Boyken joined the Bank in 1934, being elected as assistant cashier in 1935, a cashier in 1939, and serving in that position until January of 1959 at which time he was elected President and continued to serve as President through October 1982. At that time, Edward Boyken was elected to serve as Chairman of the Board. During the time that he has been with the Bank, he has seen it through 4 major remodeling projects and has seen the Bank grow from assets of about $300,000 to the present $170,000,000.


In March of 1939, upon the death of President B.S. Pannkuk, William Boyken assumed the Presidency of the Titonka Savings Bank. He had served as Vice President from June of 1920 through March of 1939 and subsequently as President from March of 1939 until his death in December of 1958. During this time, he had seen the bank grow from $350,000.00 in assets to $3,429,000.00. The Board of Directors did cite William Boyken as being a tower of strength and safety for the bank, a person who had served unselfishly through all the years he had been associated with


In October of 1950, the capital of the Titonka Savings Bank was increased from its initial capitalization of $15,000.00 to $45,000.00 by the issuing of a Stock Dividend.


In July of 1953, the Titonka Savings Bank applied for membership in the Federal Reserve System. It was at that time and continues to this day, to be the only Bank in the County to maintain Federal Reserve Membership.


In November of 1953, the capital of the Bank was increased from $45,000.00 to $60,000.00, again by declaring a Stock Dividend.


In September of 1954, contracts were let for expansion into the Earl Stott building, immediately to the North of theTitonka Savings Bank . John B. Isebrand, A.L. Honken, and Loren Williamson, were the primary contractors for the project. One major improvement was a new vault with a modern, Diebold vault door. The total cost of the project was about $22,000.00.


In the spring of 1965, the bank remodeled the backroom, providing offices for income tax work and for a meeting room, as well as improving other backroom facilities. The cost of this project was $35,000.00.


In October of 1965, a Stock Dividend was again declared and the capitalization of the Bank was increased from $60,000.00 to $120,000.00.


In December of 1972, a contract was entered into with Kirk Gross Company to expand into a somewhat larger bank facility, the bank having purchased the Blake Funeral Home building earlier that year. The project was completed and an open house was held on October 18th, 1973.


In October of 1973, Allan Boyken was elected cashier, coming to the Bank from Fisher Controls Company in Marshalltown, Iowa. He served in that capacity until October, 1978, at which time he was elected Vice President


In 1976, the Bank installed its first computer, an NCR 499, electing to continue to do all of its bookkeeping work in house as it had done through the past years and thereby, maintaining control over its operation and continuing to provide safe, sound and friendly banking services to its customers. The Titonka Savings Bank was one of the first institutions in the North Central Iowa area to change over to computers and has continued to maintain modern, up to date bookkeeping facilities.


Allan Boyken was elected President in October of 1982, and continued to serve in that capacity through December, 2014. He currently serves as Chairman of the Board.


In November of 1982, the Directors did again increase the capitalization of the Bank from $120,000.00 to $480,000.00 by means of a Stock Dividend. The present capital account of the Bank remains at $480,000.00.


In the summer of 1983 the Bank did expand back into the part of the Bank that had been occupied by Dr. John J. Lesiak from 1955 until his retirement. This project was again overseen by the Kirk Gross Company, with the work done by Clarence Isebrands. This project provided the Bank with two additional offices as well as expanded Insurance Agency facilities and an improved computer room.


In 1984, controlling interest in the Titonka Savings Bank was purchased by Titonka Bancshares, Inc., a locally owned corporation.


In 1991 the bank introduced its own credit card program. This program provides the bank’s customers with local credit card service and quick, responsive service for their credit card needs.


In 1992, the Titonka Savings Bank had an opportunity to expand its operations by opening a branch office in Forest City, Iowa. This branch office has enabled us to provide better service to many of our customers who are employed in the Forest City area and also enabled us to expand our operation by providing sound, friendly banking services to the people of the Forest City area as well.


In 1993, the Titonka Savings Bank was completely remodeled inside and out. We expanded our office area and reconfigured our teller line to provide better service to your customers. The backroom area was doubled, and additional space was made available for offices and storage.


The Titonka Savings Bank installed its first ATM machine in 1995, providing 24 hour cash service for our customers. In addition, we introduced the SHAZAM check card for our customers, allowing them worldwide access to their checking accounts.


In 1998, the bank along with the rest of the Titonka Area Community, celebrated the Titonka Centennial and that celebration was certainly the highlight of the year. Jeff Carlton acquired his real estate license and we began offering real estate services to the Titonka Area Community through Missal Realty of Forest City. At the end of the year, we saw the lowest hog prices seen for many decades.


1999 saw the introduction of a 21st Century Banking product with our check imaging service. This is another example of our efforts to continue to offer state of the art, sound banking services to our customers. We were overwhelmed by the acceptance of this product by our customers. We continued to work diligently to make sure our systems were Year 2000 compliant. As part of this effort, we installed a generator at our Titonka Office to insure a reliable source of power not only for the Year 2000 event but also throughout the year. The general economy continued to prosper with high rates of employment. However, the agricultural economy suffered with some of the lowest


After using several incarnations of NCR proof machines, in 1999, the Bank installed an NCR 7780 image capable proof machine and started to send out image statements. With the advent of Check 21, the Bank started to exchange cash letters via images instead of sending pieces of paper around the country as had previously been done.


With the year 2000 “problem” was coming into focus and the bank hired Technology Officer Aaron Boyken to assist it in preparing for this upcoming event.


The year 2001 saw the bank double in size due to the purchase of the Forest City and Thompson branches of the Commercial Federal Bank. To prepare for the acquisitions, we upgraded our core processing software to a more modern system, we set up Dial-a-Bank for telephone banking, and we set up our Online Banking website. We also installed a new image capable proof machine in the Forest City branch to facilitate handling the check volume at that branch and expanded our communications network between Titonka, Thompson, and Forest City. We also added two new ATMs to our network, one in Thompson and one on the campus of Waldorf College


In 2007, the Bank turned off the large, noisy proof machines for the last time and started to use a small, quiet scanner and a software package to handle items.


The year 2007 saw the Bank move our Forest City office to the newly constructed building at 101 Highway 69 N. This building was designed so that our customers could have easy access to both the drive up and parking and also features a large community room that is available to rent.